Source code

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Sep 16 01:13:53 EDT 2002

"Terje Johan Abrahamsen" <spoermeg at voldelig.com> wrote in message
news:am3ms1$2e49b$1 at ID-53055.news.dfncis.de...
> If I would like to write some code that would not be possible for
others to
> read, after I distribute the program,

If a general purpose computer can read it, so can a person with the
aid of that computer -- which is precisely why 'Hollywood' has
persuaded one congress-slave to introduce a bill outlawing general
purpose desk computers by requiring that they be crippled so that they
are more like proprietary media players.

>would Python be suitable? I know that
> there are a few programs like Py2Exe, that creates .exe files. But,
I also
> saw this:
>
> --------------------
>  A zip-compatible archive is built, containing all files from this
>   directory as well as your script, and appended to a custom python
>   interpreter supplied with py2exe.
> --------------------
>
> Doesn't sound like it is protected very well. Is there some
alternative to
> Py2Exe that can do the job, or should I look for a compiled language
> instead?

If hiding your code is your top priority, probably so -- at least
after doing development in Python.  If you use a language with gotos
(like C), you can destructure your code to make it more obscure.
Another trick is to add useless code than literally cannot be figured
out since there is no meaning to figure out (other than 'be
confused').

There have been posts in the past about encrypting files.  You might
find them with google.

TJR