Question about Tutorial-Unicode

Grzegorz Rumatowski grzegorz.rumatowskiNOSPAM at chello.at
Fri Sep 13 04:14:46 EDT 2002

Hello All!

I'm new to Python. Playing with it since some days. And last time I was
playing with unicode strings. THen I've realized a problem. Okey, I
thought let's look into tutorial on python.org. Looked into it and was
wondering.
In the section "3.1.3 Unicode Strings" there is a following example:

>>> u"äöü"
u'\xe4\xf6\xfc'

But If I'm trying the same I'm getting:

>>> u"äöü"
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

This whole with Python 2.2.1 on Win

I can't find any explanation. Mayby anyone of you?

Greetingx
Grzechu
--
G.R.Z.E.C.H.U.: General Robotic Zombie Engineered for Calculation and
Hazardous Utility