[newbie] Calling Python from C++

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Fri Sep 20 11:29:36 EDT 2002

"Magnus Lyckå" <magnus at thinkware.se> wrote in message
news:3D8B3EA0.6050500 at thinkware.se...
> Morfeas wrote:

> I'm really as clueless as you are about this, but as far
> as I understand, there are better tools than SWIG to
> connect Python with C++. SWIG is really a C thing rather
> than a C++ thing, right?
>
> Boost and CXX comes to mind. See
> http://www.thinkware.se/cgi-bin/thinki.cgi/UsingPythonWithOtherLanguages

While I appreciate the plug and I do think Boost.Python is a great solution
for C++, SWIG has evolved since I first did my analysis and it understands a
lot more of C++ than it used to, though it is still missing the ability to
instantiate templates. The Boost comparisons page is woefully outdated and
I've been waiting for David Beazley to write a new blurb for SWIG.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting