Python GUI app to impress the boss?

Lee Gray lpgray at uop.com
Tue Sep 17 17:05:54 EDT 2002

I'm a fairly new programmer with experience in ASP/VBScript/DHTML.
Other than small utilities, so far I've mostly written ASP apps to
talk to an Oracle database on HP/UX, with Windows NT/2000 clients, and
I've done maintenance work on VB and Oracle Forms apps.

We're currently looking at .Net, and I'm not very impressed, for a
variety of reasons. A little research makes me feel that either Java
or Python would be a good alternative, and given my level of
experience, I'd much prefer Python over Java.  I *think* I could
actually get up to speed faster with Python than with VB and ASP.Net,
in spite of my ASP/VBS experience.

My boss is pretty open-minded, but also needs to see something working
to be convinced Python is even a viable platform (he had never heard
of it).  Otherwise, .Net is a given, whether it's any good or not,
since corporate is MS all the way.

Can someone point me to a good Python GUI app to demonstrate (other
than IDLE)?

It may very well be that .Net is best for me/us, but from what I've
seen of Python, I *really* like the language and I'd at least like to
see a good demonstration of a full-blown app before ruling it out.
(Something along the lines of what I mentioned above would be ideal,
but not a necessity.)

Thanks!

Lee Gray