Python Process that can survive

Sam Peterson skpeternospam at ucdavis.edu
Mon Sep 30 17:25:40 EDT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 at 19:11 GMT, Christopher Peery <peeryc at hotmail.com> spake thus:
> sismex01 at hebmex.com wrote in message news:<mailman.1033137937.24205.python-list at python.org>...
> Plus in my lab there are a bunch of perl guys and a few python
> people.  To date, what one can do in their script the python guys
> can do to (only nicer and much more readible). Perl has the ability
> to have a process continue after the underlying terminal is killed
> if the process is in the background. What is python doing that
> doesn't allow this?

My guess is that they're using something like

 $ nohup perl <perlscript>.

This catches the HANGUP(HUP) signal sent from the terminal and
effectively daemonizes a process.  All the perl I've scripted before
would die as soon as I'd logout, and I'd use the nohup program to keep
it running.

--
Sam
"Da Man"