Source code

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Tue Sep 17 02:22:16 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" <jb at cascade-sys.com> writes:
> Furthermore, even if you formally assign the copyright to somebody
> else, I understand ownership eventually reverts to the original author
> after a lengthy period (45 years or something).  Evidently it
> preserves the copyright for the heirs of the author.

I heard the opposite.  In fact part of the debate before the 1976
copyright extension act was about who should get the additional years
of copyright of a work that had been assigned to a publisher, the
author or the assignee.  Of course the same corporate lobbyists who
got the extension passed in the first place made sure that publishers,
not authors, got 100% of the benefit of the extension.  See
http://eldred.cc for more info.