Larry Wall's comment on python...

Alan Daniels from_deja at alandaniels.com
Wed Sep 25 11:20:48 EDT 2002

Greg Ewing <see_reply_address at something.invalid> wrote in message news:<3D911A1B.1000109 at something.invalid>...

[snippage...]
> You use tabs to get up to the current statement indentation level,
> and then spaces after that for the purpose of lining-up.

Unfortunately, that fails when one person writes their code with tabs
set to 8, and another person reads the code with tabs set to 4. Code
that was hand-aligned with a mix of tabs and spaces doesn't align
anymore.

Sometimes I wonder if Guido would have saved a lot of debate by declaring,
long ago, that Python code would never allow tabs in it, period. Which may
be a bit extreme, I'll admit. :-)