Trouble upgrading to 2.2.1

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Sep 10 12:39:19 EDT 2002

Robert Oschler wrote in comp.lang.python:
> I'm trying to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.2.1.  I'm using kpackage (KDE's rpm
> wrapper).

My recommendation is to learn to use rpm directly.

> When I try to install from the rpm file named
> "python2-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm" I get the following dependency errors:
>
> libcrypto.so.2
> libsel.so.2

That should probably be libssl...

> How can I correct this, or, is there an easier way to get upgraded?

You should install the OpenSSL libraries in order to fulfill these
dependencies. If you do have the OpenSSL libraries installed, but the
libcrypto or libssl version numbers are different on your machine, you can
try to provide the necessary symlinks so rpm will shut up.

If you know what you're doing, you can always use the --force argument for
rpm, but unless you fix your dependencies, socket and all Python modules
that build on top of it (smtplib, urllib, ...) likely won't work.

I guess you have that Python RPM from the KRUD site, so perhaps you can
find upgrades for OpenSSL at the same place.

-- Gerhard