Embedding Python in C++ and get rid of it again

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 21 06:56:57 EDT 2002

Manuel Klimek <manuel.klimek at web.de> writes:

> I'm coding on xpermud, a scriptable mud client.
> This one features multiple scripting languages
> (perl and python at the very moment).

For problems like this, it is not that helpful if you report what your
program does, but instead, how you have organized your program. Like:

- I have a Solaris 8 32-bit binary foo, which I generated with gcc
  2.95.2.
- I also have linked libpython22.a to that binary.
- I have compiled the bar.so extension module
- when I try to import bar, I get the error message "foobar not found"

> So why does python want to have "hard"-exported symbols in .so
> libraries?

I don't understand the question. What is a "hard"-exported symbol, and
why do think Python wants it?

Also, why do you think any of the Python symbols interfere with Perl?

> Special question: Is there a different way to
> get the python modules find the symbols they
> need, some magic internal undocumented python
> function we could call on the C++ side...?

What symbols are you referring to?

Regards,
Martin