Python Compiling

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 23 09:22:31 EDT 2002

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> writes:

> How would you reconcile the above statements in context of Common Lisp
> compilers ?

It all depends on the programming language. I would, of course, expect
that a C compiler gives a performance improvement over a C interpreter
significant enough to make using C compilers worthwhile.

Results from one language don't transfer to another. I don't know
(really) why Lisp compilers work that well, and what restrictions on
the Lisp language had to be made to make them work well. In general,
many of the type inference mechanisms done by lisp compilers don't
apply to Python.

Regards,
Martin