Solaris 64 bit compilation

Holden Caulfield phoebe_1 at att.net
Tue Sep 24 20:43:40 EDT 2002

loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin v. Löwis wrote in message news:<j4fzvzclfb.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de>...

> > > So what value has SIZEOF_LONG in pyconfig.h?
>  [...]
> > To answer your questions:
> >   - pyconfig.h does say 8 as SIZEOF_LONG
>
> That raises the question then why the error in pyport.h is
> produced. LONG_BIT comes from limits.h, and, if _LP64 is defined, is
> 64. So I'm still uncertain what you did to provoke this error.
>
> >   - 'curses' modules does not compile.
> >   - 'dbm' modules compiles fine but core dumps during test.
> > So, I disabled these modules in 'setup.py' and built it and ran the
> > make test.
>
> curses fails for me as well, since it finds a 32-bit ncurses
> installation; dbm also core dumps here.
>
> > test test_time failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./Lib/test/test_time.py", line 46, in test_mktime
> >     time.mktime, (999999, 999999, 999999, 999999,
> >   File "/apps/python/build/Python-2.2.1/Lib/unittest.py", line 279, in
> > failUnlessRaises
> >     raise self.failureException, excName
> > AssertionError: OverflowError
>
> This is a known bug (#460357), which has been fixed in CVS.
>
> > 2)
> > test_gettext
> > test test_gettext crashed -- exceptions.OSError: [Errno 20] Not a
> > directory: 'xx/LC_MESSAGES/gettext.mo'
>
> I believe this also has been fixed in CVS.
>
> > Are there any plans to support 64-bit python executable/module on
> > solaris platforms for future versions?
>
> Building python in 64-bit mode on Solaris works already. Some modules
> may still not work; patches are welcome.
>
> > Is anyone even interested in the configure.in patches?
>
> I don't really see a need, since it works fine without the patches.

  Well, I will have to disagree here. As currently at lease in V2.2.1 vanilla
  source there is *no* option to built in 64 bit mode, unless you hack the
  CFLAGS, LDSHARED etc.
  Unless, you know of way to pass the appropriate flags?
  Because my expectation was that I could build 64bit excutable/object/module
  by running "configure", currently out of the box I could *not* figure out a
  way to do this.