Could Python supplant Java?

Ken Seehof kseehof at neuralintegrator.com
Wed Sep 4 15:40:47 EDT 2002

Nick Ruisi wrote:

> .net compiled code can run on linux with the mono CLR
> (http://www.go-mono.com). One can use the mono tool kit to write /
> compile .Net code on a linux box, without ever touching a microsoft
> product.  The compiler and SDK for C# and VB.Net is a free (albeit
> large) download. Although I don't like VB.Net as a language, C# is fine.
> It's just like java.

C# and .Net are transparent ploys by Microsoft.  This isn't paranoia, or
fashionable "Microsoft bashing", it's just plain experience.  The only
possible motivation for Microsoft to market a product that increases
compatibility across platforms, languages and applications is to be in
a position to severely damage that compatibility at some point in the
future.  Anyone who has been in the computer industry for any length of
time should see that this is obvious.  Open Source, open architecture,
and open anything, are extremely harmful to Microsoft's well being, and
they know it.  They aren't evil; they are just trying to survive.

I expect .Net to provide what it promises in the short run, at least
to some degree, in order to gain some degree of credibility.  Hence,
it works fine on Linux for now.  Once people are hooked, you can expect
microsoftisms to creep in for no reason other than to lock out competition.

If this isn't obvious to you, please read Microsoft's own internal
documentation as leaked in the "Halloween Documents".  And don't waste
space on this thread arguing with me until you have at least read part 1.
Especially be sure to read about "decommoditizing protocols".

"OSS [open source software] projects have been able to gain a foothold in
many server application because of the wide utility of highly commoditized,
simple protocols. By extending these protocols and developing new protocols,
we can deny OSS projects entry into the market." - Microsoft internal memo

  http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

- Ken Seehof