Stackless Python, eventual merge?

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Thu Sep 19 21:17:41 EDT 2002

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> That is not true. It is more reliable to inspect the source code.
>
> In general, it is very easy to do so: if there are no callbacks to
> Python, the module is stackless-safe.

That's a fair point, and I guess it takes care of
the majority of extensions.

But the cases where there is doubt are typically
going to be big, complicated things like GUI
libraries. Making a line-by-line inspection of
one of those isn't exactly something you do over
a cup of tea.

And you don't just have to look at the code, you
have to understand what it's doing, because the
things which cause problems are dynamic rather
than static features of the code.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,