Will "Python in a Nutshell" be too short?

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Wed Sep 18 09:16:54 EDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:46:21 +0100, Hamish Lawson
<hbl at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:

>Many of us were hoping that "Python in a Nutshell" would not only be a
>comprehensive reference of pretty much all of the modules in the standard

I never understood why people wants another reference to Python other
then the standard online documentation. We should concentrate on this
rather then on everything else. But currently they seem to be written
in stone.

The annotated PHP manual is a complete other dimension of
documentation with active development. You don't have to write a PEP
before changing a sentence.

>library that aren't obsolescent or platform-specific, but would also cover
>some of the most popular third-party libraries - e.g. DB-API, PIL,
>mxDateTime, Numeric, win32all, wxPython, mod_python, ReportLab.

Here comes another problem. You can't write a simple 40 page
introduction. What we really need are not books for beginners but
books for advanced programmers. There is too much garbage in the
bookshelfs (even in the python bookshelf) of my favorite shop.

Perhaps i'm to frustrated but is education really so low in the python
community that you must explain simple method calls or thinks like
this ? I would like to see a detailed description about the actions
that must be done on every method call by the interpreter with
references to the c source code.