Larry Wall's comment on python...

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Sep 6 16:09:03 EDT 2002

Rod Stephenson wrote:

> "Python is cool to look at small bits of, but I think the "outline"
> syntax breaks down with larger chunks of code. I'm with Aristotle on
> the structure of discourse--a story should have a beginning, and
> middle, and an end. So should blocks"
>
> I'm not quite sure what he's trying to get at here - I guess that for
> a long heavily indented chunk of code, you could lose track of the
> overall structure, but I don't write code this way.
>
> Any comments?

I'm not really sure what he's getting at, either.  It sounds like he's
suggesting that using indentation for setting off blocks is confusing,
but this is a standard objection to Python that most people have
(especially those with experience in other languages), and my experience
is most people immediately drop this objection after using it for a
little while.

But at some level, what would you expect him to say?

/  \ There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
\__/ Miguel de Cervantes
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.