Trying the impossible?

Sebastian Wangnick sebastian at wangnick.de
Sun Sep 22 08:08:55 EDT 2002

Dear all,

yesterday I recompiled Tcl/Tk (8.4.0) and pythoncore/python/_tkinter (2.2.1)
in debug mode with VC 6.0. Now, when trying my script, I'm getting the
following error:
    PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
This is happening when NTDLL tries to call my_wndproc via calldll.

It seems to me that the following is happening: Within Tkapp_MainLoop,
before calling Tcl_DoOneEvent, the code saves the current thread state
within tcl_tstate and then releases the interpreter_lock, setting the
_PyThreadState_current to NULL. Whenever Tcl calls back to Python, the
ENTER_PYTHON macro re-acquires the interpreter_lock and restores the thread
state. However, in my script this is not performed, as it is Windows calling
my script, and calldll doesn't know that it has to reacquire the interpreter
lock, nor where to find the thread state!

I undef'd WITH_THREAD in pyConfig.h and recompiled, and then my script
works.

I'm uncertain how to best make calldll thread-safe under these
circumstances. Maybe the author can help?

Regards,
Sebastian

news:30292041.0209210032.6e07d9f3 at posting.google.com...