PyQt setup on Linux Mandrake 8.2

djw dwelch91 at nospam.attbi.com
Sun Sep 22 21:55:48 EDT 2002

Thanks to you and the others, I finally got this to work. My remaining
question/problem/puzzlement is what to do about the fact I now have two
Python 2.2 installs on my system. Mandrake installed everything during
its setup into /usr and everything I built/installed went into
/usr/local. I was going to rip out the version that Mandrake layed down
in /usr and just use the /usr/local copy, but when I ran the package
manager and told it to uninstall all the various py* pieces, the list of
dependencies it wanted to also delete was scary (stuff like filesystem
modules). Unfortunately, when I try to install new py modules, they all
want to install into /usr instead of /usr/local, since /usr/bin/python
is ahead of /usr/local/bin/python on $PATH, causing sys.prefix to point
to /usr, I suppose.

So, this leaves me wondering... its not possible to install Mandrake
without Python (as evidenced by the dependencies), but the location it
is installed at is "wrong" by default - so, what is the "proper" way to
handle this situation? (It would seem nice to install Linux without
Python and compile and install it afterwards). I can't tell from your
list of commands where python is located, but I assume its in /usr?
Also, I noticed that the copy of python that was installed by the system
lacked Python.h, whereas the copy I compiled and installed had this
file. Are you supposed to "overlay" the system copy in /usr with the
extra files that things like sip/pyqt need (i.e., Python.h)?

Don