Python GUI app to impress the boss?

Lee Gray lee100 at sport.rr.com
Tue Sep 17 20:49:28 EDT 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:

>>lpgray at uop.com (Lee Gray) wrote in
>>news:96904b50.0209171305.6d65f574 at posting.google.com:
>>> My boss is pretty open-minded, but also needs to see something working
>>> to be convinced Python is even a viable platform (he had never heard
>>> of it).  Otherwise, .Net is a given, whether it's any good or not,
>>> since corporate is MS all the way.
> .
> While we're pointing out individual applications that
> might be of interest, please keep in mind that Python
> is in serious production use at tens of THOUSANDS of
> sites.  Don't judge it solely by what you see of the
> first two demonstrations someone happens to push your
> way.

I read that all the time (and believe it), but that's not going to impress
my boss, much. He's still going to want something demonstrated up close and
personal.

> their efforts only "off the record".  I'm willing to
> bet, though, that Python will be around for longer
> than VBScript.

I can certainly agree with that. There's already conflicting information
about MS' continuing support of VBS, the Windows Script Host and IE's HTAs
(HTML Applications) in the scripting newsgroups.  That's one reason I want
to learn Python personally, but if we're going to use it at work, I need to
show something quickly to convince anyone (including myself!) that that's a
good direction.

Thanks,
Lee