windows xp command prompt

David Harrison davidis at diebots.davidis.diebots.plus.com
Sun Sep 29 19:48:27 EDT 2002

mike henley wrote:
> i have installed the activestate perl, python, tcl, and pragmatic
> programmer's ruby. when i go to the command prompt on windows xp and
> type perl for example... (or python, ruby... etc) i get the following
> message.
>
> 'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> in the control panel| system | advanced | environment variables | Path
> i have
>
> C:\ruby\bin;C:\Python22;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>
> does anyone know what i should do to fix this problem? (apart from the
> obvious of restarting the machine)

Is it like Win2K, where you have environment variables for 'this user'
and 'all users' (easiest found by right-clicking on My Computer,
selecting 'Manage', then right-clicking again on 'Computer Management
(Local)', and selecting the 'Advanced' Tab and clickign on the
'Environment Variables' button. You want to edit the 'System' path
variable).

Just a thought.

Dave H

--

"When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
reply address