Getting started

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Sep 25 15:06:56 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" wrote:

> However "lame" or "weak" you may consider this feature to be, it does
> NOT constitute "weak typing" per the formal definition.  This is
> simple
> polymorphism, as you seem to acknowledge, same in Perl as in Python.

The problem here is that there is no official "formal definition."  Some
use "weak typing" to mean any type system where the typing can be foiled
by casts; some use it to mean any system where operations, not the
objects themselves, determine the types of the objects.  (I favor the
latter definition, since it carries more information about the
language.)  This is simply a case of differing terminology.

/  \ Nothing is true -- all is permissible.
\__/ Hassan i Sabbah
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/
 A mathematics reference.