Getting started

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 25 08:31:43 EDT 2002

"holger krekel" <pyth at devel.trillke.net> wrote ...
> Lance wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Last night I attended a Weak typing, C++ Templates, and Python talk by
Bruce
> > Eckel. It was great, my introduction to Python.
> >
> > I'm sold on Python and weak typing.
>
> I am not. But i much prefer dynamic over static typing :-)

Python is comfortable for me because the data is strongly-typed and no type
is associated with names. This gives maximum flexibility and minimum
requirements for compile-time checking, both good attributes for a
rapid-development environment.

> What is 'weak typing' supposed to mean, anyway?  I have heard that a
couple
> of times from java-people because they tend to think that python
> is not strongly typed.

There are languages which use type information to allow a relaxed
polymorphism, and there are those (like Java) where either syntax or
predominant style anally forces the programmer to prove they are in tune
with the framework's requirements. The latter might still be programming,
but it sure isn't fun [note: I do not insist that programming *must* be fun,
but if you don't enjoy it you'll probably not be reading this].

> > Would you be able to suggest an indispensable learning Python book?

Alex is, of course, far too modest to promote his forthcoming "Python in a
Nutshell", but that's going to be extraordinarily good for Python newbies. I
think its appearance will also make other O'Reilly books on Python more
valuable.

> David Beazley wrote "Python essential reference" which is a very good
> book for programmers. It doesn't cover the most recent developments
> but it still is one of the best IMO.

Beazley is indeed helpful; soon a Python book won't need to labor to
introduce the language but simply list the appropriate tomes where the
knowledge can be acquired. This is a good thing.

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com