off topic -- spam assassin

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 26 10:41:28 EDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 04:07:06PM +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
> On the advice of several of you here, I installed spam assassin, and
> had a pleasant six months of nearly spam free mail.  Thank you, each
> and every one of you who recommmended it.  Alas, the spammers have
> got smarter, and I am now getting 25+ pieces of spam that aren't
> caught by spam assassin every day again. :-(  What's new for our
> side of the arms race?

Have you upgraded to the most recent version of spamassassin.  My
observations are similar to yours, but staying on the current version
of SA works nicely for me.  (although I don't get as much spam as you,
and maybe your spammers are smarter than mine)

I think the SA heyday is over.  Once it left obscurity, I think the
spammers started using it to tailor their messages.  This is an
inevitability and only means that we'll need to stay on top of the
most recent version.

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305