revenge of the python puzzle

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Thu Sep 26 02:00:36 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1033015653.17801.python-list at python.org>,
 Michal Wallace <sabren at manifestation.com> wrote:

> Okay, so you guys think you're so smart. Try this one!  No
> contest this time, I've learned my lesson.  (I suppose if
> someone really wants some free hosting bad enough to solve
> this puzzle, you could talk me into it, but I'm just posting
> this for revenge... Um, I mean "fun".)

I'm not going to spoil this, just point out that my cryptogram applet
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/cryptogram/ (sorry, not written in
Python, but Java source available) solves this really easily.  You'd
have to make it a lot shorter or a lot less like English to make it
difficult...  of course to a human the keywords in the lines with colons
are dead giveaways...

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/