monetary applications [was: Python GUI app to impress the bos s?]

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 20 17:37:22 EDT 2002

Magnus Lyckå fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 20 September 2002
05:46 am:

> In one system it worked well for years, until
> the application was ported from VMS to HP-UX.
> It would probably have worked on HP-UX as well,
> but values calculated on one platform and stored
> in the database didn't match values calculated
> on the other.

        Heck -- a few years back we had that problem going from VAX VMS to
Alpha VMS. The Alpha's registers used (if I recall the nomenclature)
G-Float for doubles, where the VAX used D-Float. D-Float doubles are
essentially a 32-bit float with another 32-bits of mantissa tacked on.
G-Float, instead, adds a few bits to the exponent, and less than
32-bits of added mantissa.

        Along with the problems of having a "double" passed to a subroutine
that only worked "single" (on VAX you essentially were ignoring the
extended mantissa, on the Alpha the entire exponent was trash).