Expect() from telnetlib giving me problems.

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 22:11:53 EDT 2002

Marc wrote:

[snip]
>   File "C:\python22\lib\telnetlib.py", line 541, in expect
>     list[i] = re.compile(list[i])
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\sre.py", line 178, in compile
>     return _compile(pattern, flags)
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\sre.py", line 228, in _compile
>     raise error, v # invalid expression
> error: nothing to repeat

Note that this is an error in sre.py, not in telnetlib. (A clue! ;-)

> I've tried several different ways to get the expect command to work. I
> can't find any examples and only limited documentation. Here is how
> I'm trying to implement it:
>
>     alist = [ 'COMPLD', '*/' ]
>     buffer = conn.expect(alist, 5)
>
> Can someone please tell me what is wrong or provide me with some
> working examples of using the command.

expect() expects a list of regular expressions. '*/' probably isn't a valid
regex. See also

   http://www.python.org\doc\lib\telnet-objects.html

"""
expect(list[, timeout])

Read until one from a list of a regular expressions matches.

The first argument is a list of regular expressions, either compiled
(re.RegexObject instances) or uncompiled (strings). The optional second
argument is a timeout, in seconds; the default is to block indefinitely.
"""

HTH,

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)