"if x == None" raises "'NoneType' object is not callable"

Luc Saffre luc.saffre at gmx.net
Mon Sep 16 09:37:21 EDT 2002

Thank you, Mark. Now I will remeber the difference between "is" and "=="!

There is another big bug in my code snippet. If I write::
      try:
         return self._values[name]
      except KeyError,e:
         raise AttributeError,str(e)

instead of::
      try:
         return self._values[name]
      except KeyError,e:
         AttributeError,str(e)

then the results are also much more as expected :-)
For every undefined attribute I told Python "yes, I have this attribute
defined, and its value is None".

The explanation for this strange message is now clear (at least for my
simplistic thinking):
- Because I used "==" (and not "is"), Python made a deep look into my
object and looked into each attribute, not only the hash()
- One of these attributes was some of those magic functions, perhaps
__cmp__(). And my __getattr__() returned None instead of raising
AttributeError for these attributes which, I admit, if you define them,
should be callable...

Okay... Python is great!
Luc