Interapp communication under Python[Linux]?

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 6 15:15:37 EDT 2002

<brueckd at tbye.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Robert Oschler wrote:
>
> It _sounds_ like you want the separate pieces to act as if they were all
> one giant process, so maybe really linking them together is the way to go.
> Personally I really like a socket-based approach (roll your own protocol
> or use XML-RPC/SOAP/etc).
>
> Putting such questions aside, I'd first evaluate your solutions in terms
> of difficulty in Java and C++ because all of the ones you listed are
> pretty easy in Python.
>
> -Dave

Dave,

Currently, most of the modules external to Python will either do a large
intensive database lookup, or a heavy esoteric calculation.  There will be
frequent calls to them, but based on what I just said you can see that the
percentage ratio of the time it takes to receive the request and then return
an answer to Python, versus the lengthy operation itself, will be quite
large.  (So pretty much any of the communication strategies I outlined won't
be signicant when it comes to the overhead of the call itself, regardless of
the protocol used.)  Yes I too really like the socket approach, although
setting up the data object transmission format, especially the quality
control and validation parts of it, and creating a robust async receipt
mechanism on the client side, is a headache.

thx