Python Compiling

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Tue Sep 24 22:41:13 EDT 2002

> Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> writes:
>
> Results from one language don't transfer to another. I don't know
> (really) why Lisp compilers work that well, and what restrictions on
> the Lisp language had to be made to make them work well.

I think Lisp compilers work by a combination of help
from optional declarations, and heroic amounts of
type inference.

Also, Python is even more dynamic than Lisp in some
ways -- namespaces can have names added and removed
at run time, built-in operators can be overloaded,
etc. You can hardly rely on *anything* staying the
same from one moment to the next in Python!

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,