[Newbie] Need help with quick text proggy.

Jeff Davis jdavis at empires.org
Thu Oct 10 01:12:24 EDT 2002

Here is one approach:

-----begin convertfile.py--------
import re

def convert_time(time):
        hours = re.sub(r'(\d\d?):(\d\d)(a|p)',r'\g<1>',time)
        minutes = re.sub(r'(\d\d?):(\d\d)(a|p)',r'\g<2>',time)
        ampm = re.sub(r'(\d\d?):(\d\d)(a|p)',r'\g<3>',time)
        hours = int(hours) + 6 # this adds the time you needed
        if hours == 12:
                hours = 0
        if ampm == 'p':
                hours += 12
                ampm = 'a'
        if hours >= 24:
                hours -= 24
        if hours > 12:
                hours -=12
                ampm = 'p'
        if hours == 0:
                hours = 12
        return "%s:%s%s" % (hours,minutes,ampm)

input = open('input.file','r')
output = open('output.file','w')

line = input.readline()
while line:
        (time,number) = line.split()
        time = convert_time(time)
        output.write("%s        %s\n" % (time,number))
        line = input.readline()

input.close()
output.close()
--------end convertfile.py---------------

I'll leave the initial debugging to you. If you have any more questions,
just ask. I hope I understood your problem correctly.

Oh, and it could probably be solved more eloquently than I have done. I
always have difficuly translating dates all around. As far as I can tell,
12 acts kind of like 0, since 12pm is noon and 12am is midnight (right?).
Anyway, hope it helps.

Regards,
        Jeff