Asking a user for the root password and executing root only c ommands...

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Oct 31 08:09:56 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:50:04 -0500, sismex01 wrote:

> I've thought along those lines, about having a "magic" key sequence for
> logging into the machine, or something like that, but Linux is *not*
> windows, so maybe we shouldn't be trying to do things the window's way.

Mainframe systems also have such a magic key sequence.  It is called
"Secure Attention".  It is an important security feature that Linux is
missing.

Of course, it doesn't do Windows any good since there is no internal
security on Windows.  (The API inherently allows any program to execute
arbitrary code as root.  Google for "Shatter Attack".)

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>