SimpleXMLRPCServer-related questions

Alex @ Infinito alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Thu Oct 17 08:53:44 EDT 2002

I'm playing with the SimpleXMLRPCServer and I have a few doubts:

+ How do I start the SimpleXMLRPCServer(derived) object?
- Should I start it with inetd?
- In this case, is there any sample inetd script available?
- Or should I start it by myself, forking and chdir/umask the child process?
+ How do I stop the service(daemon)?
- By "KILLing" it?
- In this case, the SimpleXMLRPCServer class (or its ancestors) provides any
facility to get and record the PID for later use?
- Or should I stop it by sending it a service shutdown request (and handling
it inside my code)?
- How do I handle the service shutdown request in the SimpleXMLRPCServer case?
- Does it have any specific needs?
+ In a real-world application, should I use threads with SimpleXMLRPCServer?
- Should I use something else (the ESO platform, for example)?

As an alternative:
+ Is there any tutorial/article on this topic? (I have read already the
recipe called "A simple XML-RPC Server", by Brian Quinlan, available at the
ASPN - activestate web site. That's very good but not enough for my needs).
+ Is there any complete (but simple) XML-RPC server that I can dissect and
study?

Many thanks in advance