threading issue on Solaris SMP

Andy awalshe at iel.ie
Tue Oct 15 12:46:03 EDT 2002

Hello,
I am using Solaris 8 and Python 2.2.1. We have a multi-threaded c++
application which embeds python. The embedded python then loads python
scripts. Python is built as a shared library.

When testing i send in multiple simultaneous requests which spawn a
new thread. Each new thread then grabs a sub-interpreter from a pool,
loads the relevant script and runs it.

On a 4 processor system after a number of requests are handled i get
the error "Fatal Python error: ceval: orphan tstate" and a core dump
occurs. I've ran the same tests on a single processor system and no
problem occurs.

I've been doing a bit of fishing around the internet and noticed an
issue with Linux and SMP architectures. My question is has anyone
come accross this issue on Solaris and is there a fix available.

Andy