[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

offer at sgi.com offer at sgi.com
Tue Oct 8 17:36:03 EDT 2002

$ from mstenner at phy.duke.edu -#222187 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>> In case it's not clear, the chance of me finding an employer is
>> remote. Contacting the original author consumes time and the outcome
>> would probably not be good since I don't agree with the "pass the
>> problem to the next guy" property of the GPL.
>
>You're not willing to GPL your code.  The GPL states that you can't
>use this other guy's code UNLESS you GPL your code.  You've got two
>options.
>
>1) Get the other guy to license it differently for you.
>
>2) Don't use his code.

The GPL (like all copyrights) cover an implementation. It does not cover
an idea (that is what patents are for)

To un-GPL something re-do the implementation such that a court would
not see it as a derivative work.

One way obvious way to do this is to convert the algorithm into an
English specification, then to hand that specification off to someone else
(who has not seen the GPL code) for implementation.

Of course you can do this in your head, but if you're concerned then do
it on paper and store it away somewhere safe.

>					-Michael

richard.