Decimal arithmatic, was Re: Python GUI app to impress the bos s?

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Tue Oct 1 05:22:43 EDT 2002

sismex01 at hebmex.com wrote:

>"Integer arithmetic" != "32-bit integer arithmetic".

I never said it was.  I made a true assertion about "normal integers,"
meaning the native machine word size on most machines.

>Python longs are memory-limited, yet they
>are also based on machine integers.  Does that make them
>unsuitable?

I know.  I never said they weren't.

But Steve said "integers' NOT "Python longs" and my only point was that
Steve's original suggestion (as stated) was not practical with most
machine's native integers.

And I'll add that if you're going to consider Longs you may as well go
with FixedPoint and do it "right".  ;o)

--jb

--
James J. Besemer		503-280-0838 voice