Python documentation in DocBook

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Thu Oct 31 06:23:41 EST 2002

Martin v. Löwis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> [2002-10-31 10:32 GMT]:
> Gerhard Häring <gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net> writes:
>
>> I don't quite understand what you mean by a custom processor. There
>> already are many of these for the various formats, including
>> TexInfo, Windows Help, RichText, PDF, PostScript and HTML.
>
> Sure, but we would require that they perform special processing of
> module, functions, exceptions, classes, etc. I don't think any of the
> off-the-shelf processors would do that.

Hmm. I'm not familiar enough with the internals of the current Python docs
system to know what you're aiming at here.

Of course I agree that the standard Docbook DTD wouldn't be sufficient and
would need to be extended.

What concerns me is that the creation of PS and PDF uses Latex as intermediary
format. My uninformed predjudice is that customizing the creation of PS/PDF
would be difficult because of this. No problem for HTML (I've customized that
myself for Docbook), as you can always change the XSL stylesheets [1]. The good
news is that the XSL stylesheets are designed to be customized with various
parameters, so you normally don't need to change the stylesheet itself.

-- Gerhard

[1] While XSLT IMO isn't exactly fun, either.