Python + Win32: Cut/Paste w/o GUI

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 4 17:58:04 EDT 2002

"Tim Daneliuk" <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote in ...
> Disclaimer:  I'm *much* more comfortable with Unix innards than Win32, so
if
> the question I am about to ask is stoopid, please bear with me...
>

> I want to be able to do the following but am unclear if/how it can be
done:

> 1) Write a non-GUI Python script.
>
> 2) Create a shortcut in Win32 to that script.
>
> 3) Copy text from an arbitrary Win32 application.
>
> 4) Paste the copied text to the aforementioned shortcut/python script and
>     have that pasted text be somehow available (argv[] ???) for use by
that
>     script.
>
> Can this be done?

Sadly, I don't believe that it can. Certainly attempts to drag-and-drop text
from another window change the cursor into a "no-entry" sign over program
icons, implying that Windows doesn't regard them as legitiamte drop targets.

Neither does the context-menu item on a program shortcut include a "Paste"
option.

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com