redhat8

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 1 16:29:12 EDT 2002

Quoth Suchandra Thapa <ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu>:
|     I'm not sure that will work since Redhat maintains binary compatibility
| between the .x releases. E.g. if you have an application that installs some
| python libraries and then uses them from a script for Redhat 8.0, the same
| application will work on any 8.x releases.  So I guess if future versions
| of python don't break source or binary compability then Redhat will be able to
| upgrade python.  If not then, I guess RedHat will be using python 2.2.x for
| the next year and a half or so.

Last I heard, 2.2 would be an official extended lifetime release that
would fit into that kind of situation pretty well, too.  That was a
while back (cf. Python Business Forum, "Python in a tie", etc.), but
it's an excellent idea, and Red Hat is helping make 2.2 an obvious
choice if it wasn't already.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu