Decimal arithmetic, was Re: Python GUI app to impress the boss?

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Thu Oct 3 08:31:14 EDT 2002

"Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote in
message news:mailman.1033614847.11267.python-list at python.org...

They actually based things on 360 (close approximation to
the number of days in a year.) Using 60 cut the number of
actual numbers they had to deal with down to something
more reasonable.

And that was for "scientific" computation. Commercial
computation, IIRC, used much simpler arithmetic. I have
yet to see an abacus or counting table that was base 60!

> Just has another factor of 2... they must have been pretty
> sharp mathematicians.

John Roth