Python-based browser plugins?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Oct 31 21:35:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:44:39 GMT, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

>[I actually posted this question to the mailing list a couple of days ago,
>but I think it fell victim to the mail-news gateway problem. If it's a
>repeat, I apologize].
>
>This starts with Java, but ends with Python ... ;-D
>
>Although I have no special familiarity with it or inclination towards it, I
>have been considering using Java and/or Jython as a means of delivering
>applet and/or plugin clientside content-creation tools for a web
>collaboration application (specific examples would include a
>wysiwyg/wysiwym sdocbook XML editor and a simple 2D drawing/CAD tool that
>would create DXF or SVG output).

[...]
Does a browser natively help you significantly with either of those?

I am wondering what the balance is going to be in your client-side software.
Depending, maybe it would be easier to put browser/network functionality in your
python app than to put your python app functionality into a browser (not to mention
taking on being compatible with mutliple browser types and versions).

Maybe you can borrow some mozilla/gecko stuff, and possibly wind up advancing the cause
as well? A little googling found lots of interesting stuff...

see
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/
for ideas.

Regards,