os.py patches for 2.2.1 and 2.1.3 ?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 4 22:01:07 EDT 2002

Chris Humphries <chumphries at devis.com> writes:

> 	developers or those that may know, are there patches for the
>   releases of 2.2.1 and 2.1.3 for os.py specifically reguarding:
>
> Have os.environ() inherit from the iterable version of UserDict.
> Closes SF bug 605731.

Sure. If you look at the bug report, you will see that 1.50.8.5 has
that patch for 2.2. To retrieve it from sourceforge, look at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/dist/src/Lib/os.py.diff?r1=1.50.8.4&r2=1.50.8.5&diff_format=u

This patch should be easy to backport to 2.1 if you need that.

>   and other SF bugs that have been fixed. maybe there should be regular
>   patches or "updates" for security fixes.

Python patches are rarely "security fixes". However, many bug fixes
are also applied to the 2.2 maintenance branch, which will be released
as 2.2.2 shortly.

>   	anywho, if there are patches already out there, can i get them,
>   else can a developer make them (too sketchy for me to just do it from
>   current, and worry about accidentally fscking up something cause of
>   my ignorance of how everything fits together).

Just use the 2.2 maintenance branch.

For 2.1, you are out of luck: Nobody volunteers to maintain this
release.  Please understand that such maintenance would take a
significant amount of time, which nobody has to offer.

Regards,
Martin