Spell-check engine?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Oct 18 15:37:26 EDT 2002

Anyone have a fairly standard spell-check engine available for use from
Python?  That is, something with an interface something like this:

# create dictionary with union of 3 word-sets
dictionary = CreateDictionary('en_ca', ('general','informal','email') )

suggestions = dictionary.check( """Dear Mum,\n\nHow are you and dd,
wondring why yous never write.""")
for item in suggestions: print suggestions

( "Mum", ("Mom","mums"), (5,8))
( "dd", ("did", "Dad", ...), (27,29))
( "wondring", (...), (...))
( "yous", (...), (...))

# add a word to a particular word-set
dictionary.getSet('informal').add( "Mum" )
dictionary.getSet('informal').remove( "mums" )

I'm interested primarily in the _engine_, I know where to get various
dictionaries of words, but I don't know of any free fuzzy-match engines
that give you suggestions given a body of words.  I'd really like the
ability to have multiple loaded word-sets (with the ability to create
unions of the sets as seen above), but I can, I suppose, handle that at
the application level.

This is more curiosity than a real project issue (I just downloaded a
buggy spell-check for Mozilla).  I was just wondering if it would be
feasible to wrap such a thing in Corba and COM wrappers and make it a
generic cross-platform OS service so that projects such as Open Office,
Mozilla and even proprietary software could share the same engine (and
the same dictionaries).  Would want to provide some management UI stuff
(control-panel app on Windows, not sure what on Linux) for
adding/removing word-sets, exporting word-sets for backup, sharing and
the like, but that'd be pretty simple compared to the services
themselves.  Might also need policy control for user versus system
dictionaries I suppose.

Curiosity killed the...
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher