off topic -- spam assassin

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Tue Oct 15 19:24:46 EDT 2002

* Tim Roberts
> Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
>
>> * Jacob Hallen
>>
>> It's a race they cannot win. Spammers are really, really incredible
>> dumb - otherwise they weren't spammer.
>
> I believe I read that the typical spammer gets a "hit" rate of about 0.2%,
> or 2 hits per 1,000.  They can send 25,000,000 e-mails absolutely for free,
> and get 50,000 successful responses.
>
> Dollar for dollar, spam has a better return-on-investment than radio, TV,
> or print.
>
> They are annoying to a tremendous degree, but they are not dumb.

I didn't "measure" their dumbness by rentability but by other factors.
For instance, it's incredibly dumb to do a business for a living where
about 95% of your desired customers hate you and would like to cut
your ba... this is a nice newsgroup so I won't go into those ugly
details.

BTW, this is from a spam a received recently:
"Hi This is Money Internet newsletter; we need your corporation. From
the beginning of next month our newsletter well be different. Thank
you for your corporation. P.S. If you don't wish to receive our
newsletter, Do Notting !!" -- "Money Internet"

Thorsten