Is there a "reset" in Idle?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 11 15:08:07 EDT 2002

JXStern wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2002 14:00:47 GMT, Gerhard Häring
> <gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net> wrote:
>>I'm using gvim, python.exe, PyUnit and the reference
>>implementation of the new logging system in PEP 0282, which work
>>very well and very efficiently. But then again, I'm currently
>>only doing backend stuff and writing a few network servers. Maybe
>>you're using Python in a domain where debuggers make more sense.
>>
>>> But he compares this to Visual Studio's slick interface and
>>> finds Python wanting.
>>
>>You know, there are excellent IDEs with excellent debugging
>>support (even remote debugging, and debugging of ZOPE) you can
>>BUY: WingIDE.
>
> It's kind of the open source culture deal.
>
> Visual Studio is certainly a good IDE, and it's the one you get when
> you first lay hands on any of the languages it supports.  It's just
> there, you see.

Unless things have changed drastically since I last looked, ActiveState
sells an add-on that lets you use Visual Studio as a Python IDE, for a
small fraction of the price of Visual Studio itself.  If you like VStudio so
much, it would seem a rather natural purchase.  Maybe ActiveState
even has a try-it-out offer of some kind or other going.

Personally, I'm *SO* happy to be rid of VStudio (although I really only
used versions 4 to 6, not the current version, and mostly just for VC++
stuff).  But tastes obviously differ.

Alex