Help with Run Script please!

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Oct 9 15:06:14 EDT 2002

Hi Steve, afraid your question is missing a few pieces of data:

    Which Python have you installed (ActivePython (a heavy distribution
from ActiveState that includes the PythonWin IDE and the IDLE IDE) or
the Generic Python.org Python (a light distribution which only includes
IDLE))?

    Which IDE are you using (see previous question)?

The error sounds like it's coming from IDLE (I can't reproduce the error
in Pythonwin, and the command to run a script is File|Run there), and it
sounds like you've edited/created a script, then not saved the file to
disk before trying to run it.  Python IDEs normally demand that the
files be saved to disk before running (it makes for a much
easier-to-develop system that way). You'll likely find that chosing
File|Save gives you a dialog which lets you save your script to a file.
 Choosing Run should then allow you to specify the file you just created
for running.

Alternately (i.e. if I misunderstood the question), you may be trying to
"run" the interactive interpreter buffer?  Some IDEs allow you to save
that to a file to "run it again", and the error message sounds like it
might be referring to that.

Sorry if this is too basic a level of instruction (i.e. you already know
all that and your problem is more subtle),
Mike

Steve wrote:

>Hi All
>
>New to the group and also to Python. I`ve just installed Python (2.2.1) on a
>win 98 setup and when I click on Edit - Run Script I get the message  "The
>buffer for Python shell is not saved please save it first!" so am unable to
>run any script I`ve produced, wondered if anyone can tell me how to save the
>`Python shell buffer` as I can`t find any reference to this.
>Cheers
>Steve

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder