Linux install question

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Oct 14 17:31:39 EDT 2002

Robert Oschler wrote:

> When you get a new Python tarball, like the new one for 2.2.1b for
> instance,
> what directory do you put it in?  Also, what directory do you extract
> the
> contents of the tarball, before running 'configure/make/etc'?  I'm
> trying to
> make my directory structure as uniform as possible.

It doesn't matter where you extract the source; it's temporary anyway
(you can delete it after you're finished with the installation).  If you
want to keep it around, a .../src directory (e.g., /usr/local/src) is
the usual convention.

/  \ Peace with a cudgel in hand is war.
\__/ (a Portugese proverb)
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.