Python pattern repository

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 01:45:38 EDT 2002

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Fernando Pérez wrote:
>
>> I think this is a _great_ idea. I still believe that we _do_ need a
>> CPAN-like
>> system for larger things (full packages), but this is a great
>> complement and
>> would make it much easier to retrieve small stuff by leveraging
>> google.
>
> It's still not clear to me what the distinction between this and the
> ASPN Python Cookbook would be.  What snippet would go into a "pattern
> repository" that would be inappropriate for the online Cookbook, and/or
> vice versa?

It's simply convenience. I may well find a relevant piece of code I have lying
around during a discussion here and quickly paste it on my post, with the
surrounding PyPan markers. I am _far_ less likely to go through the trouble
of going to ASPN, submitting a recipe, etc. Remember, any time you can lower
the activation barrier for a reaction, your product rate increases
dramatically.

cheers,