Is there a "reset" in Idle?

Bruce Dawson bruce_deletethis_dawson at cygnus-software.com
Tue Oct 15 03:02:07 EDT 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:

> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
>
>>Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>>>I don't think there are any.  As long as the IDE runs the Python
>>>application being debugged in a separate process (a pretty obvious
>>>need -- pity that neither IDLE nor PythonWin do that), what would
>>>those shortcomings be?

The HAP debugger (available on Source Forge at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hapdebugger/ and overdue
for an update) is an out of process debugger. In fact, it's
a remote debugger, and thus, a cross-platform debugger.

That may solve some of the problems you speak of. The others -
well, you can get the source code and start working from it.

I found IDLE and PythonWin frustrating, and inappropriate for
our purposes - so we made HAP, and we've been very happy
with it.