Is there a "reset" in Idle?

GerritM gmuller at worldonline.nl
Sat Oct 12 05:19:52 EDT 2002

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> schreef in bericht
news:jqHp9.44485$cS4.1675697 at news2.tin.it...
> GerritM wrote:
> > As far as I am concerned this is the only catch I have repeatedly hit.
> > Changing one of the imported modules and not reloading it. Feedback from
> > potential converts indicate that they hit this catch early in the
learning
> > curve, with the danger of preempting their conversion.
>
> But what does this have to do with any shortcoming in Python?  This
> seems to be strictly a GUI issue with whatever IDE's you have in mind:
>
> > I assume that hitting CTRL-F5 for every changed file in IDLE has the
> > effect of reloading. If that is the case then I have to train myself
> > to hit CTRL-S followed by CTRL-F5 after each module change. I think that
> > the VPython IDLE does an automatic save with CTRL-F5, which I experience
> > as desired behavior.
>
> How does Python's own behavior "shag the IDEs" in any way in
> this respect?  I must be missing something.
>

> Alex

Fully agreed, this is only an IDE issue.

The point is that the completeness of the Python distribution, such as
ActiveState is a strong selling point for potential Python converts.
Weaknesses in the total package can be a dissatisfier. The spread of Python
might go faster if standard included IDE's don't have these type of
"catches".

regards Gerrit
(trying to convince people that more useful languages exist than C, C++,
Java, C#, Visual Basic)
--
www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/