[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 9 08:13:06 EDT 2002

"Greg Ewing" <see_reply_address at something.invalid> wrote in message
news:3DA3B3A2.1070902 at something.invalid...
> Fernando Pérez wrote:
>
> > Seen on slashdot:
> >
> > "GPL made simple: What was my stuff is now our stuff. If you improve our
> > stuff, please keep it our stuff."
> >
> > Credit: user #46721, whoever that is. (I quote my sources :)
>

> I would put it as: "If you add your stuff to our stuff,
> your stuff is now our stuff too. Resistance is futile."

Or, more concisely: "All your stuff belong to us"? :-)

Really, though, the GPL simply says "If you want to use our stuff you have
to make your stuff available on the same terms". It always amuses me to read
people calling the FSF "fascist" when they don't like the restrictions the
GPL places on usage. Nobody calls Microsoft "fascist" ... oh, sorry, maybe
that's going a bit too far.

anyway-they-deserve-all-they-get-ly y'rs  - steve
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com