Win98 PySol Problems III

Bill Melcher wpmelcher at snet.net
Mon Oct 14 08:12:02 EDT 2002

Hi All

This is basically FYI, not that I would object to fixes if they exist. :-}

PySol 4.81 on Win98

Information:

The inter-game save area is:

(drive: is the windows drive, usually C: regardless of what drive PySol is
installed on.)

drive:\windows\Application Data\Markus F.X.J Oberhumer\PySol

The PySol folder contains four folders: 'music', 'savegames', 'screenshots'
and 'tiles' as well as four files: 'comments.dat', 'holdgame.dat',
'options.dat' and 'statistics.dat'.

Earlier versions of PySol kept this information in drive:\.pysol

The bad news is that if more than one version/copy of PySol is installed,
all will share one or the other of these two save areas.

The other bad news is that it is more than likely that the .dat files, in
particular, are not compatible across version.  What the exact situation is,
is not known to me.

Problems:

Although the 'File/Hold and quit' capability has been 'available' since at
least version 4.20 and has improved some what, still does not work
satisfactorily at least for Vegas Klondike.

In the VK case, the problem is that VK maintains a running balance that is
not saved.  The card layout is restored as is in the case of File/Save
as.../name.pso followed by File/Open/name.pso.

I think I noticed another problem with H&Q and that is when the held game is
restored by executing PySol the next time, the 'Restart game' button does
not function correctly.

Be aware that these observations apply *only* to Vegas Klondike.  No other
game was investigated.

--
Cheers, Bill
TANSTAAFL!